Find your Fiber

Rugs, Fibers, Shag

Which one do you use?

Today, 98% of carpet fibers are synthetic, which means they are more stain-resistant and won’t break the bank like natural materials. The other 2% are natural fibers that tend to resist crushing from traffic. There are three primary types of fibers that we use in rugs here at Covered by Rugs: Polyester, Olefin, Nylon, and Triexta.

 

Rugs, Polyester, Recycled, Colorful, Vibrant, Polyester, PET, Polyethylene Terephthalate

Polyester Fiber

Although polyester isn’t great for heavy-traffic as it crushes over time, it has a luxurious feel, resistant to wear and water-soluble stains, and is easy to clean. Polyester/PET or Polyethylene Terephthalate carpet has bright colors and is available in many textures. It is more stain-resistant than nylon carpet and at least as resistant to mold & mildew and is hypoallergenic. Some of it (if not all) consists of recycled bottles. Polyester/PET is also relatively inexpensive, less than wool and nylon.

shop these rugs

 Kid & Pet Friendly / Recycled Rugs, Covered by Rugs

 

Blue Fiber, Nylon, Nylon Rug, Rug, Carpet, Fiber, Nylon Fiber

Nylon Fiber

Nylon is the strongest fiber of all the carpets, with excellent resistance to wear, insects, molding, mildew, rot, and many harsh chemicals. It is easy to maintain and dye while keeping its color vibrancy. Nylon is durable and static free, maintains fiber height, and resists soiling or staining. All of which makes it the most popular carpet fiber by far (90%) for homes and heavily favored (65%) for all uses – both residential and commercial. Great for areas that see a lot of action, like living rooms, hallways, stairs, and playrooms. Nylon carpet of midlevel and higher quality can last up to 12 to 15 years.

shop these rugs

 Outdoor Friendly / Wear-Resistant Rugs, Covered by Rugs

 

Olefin, Olefin Fiber, Moisture Resistant, Mold Resistant, high-traffic, colorfast, strong, rug, carpet, olefin rugs, olefin carpet

Olefin (Polypropylene) Fiber

Olefin (polypropylene) is the next-best seller after nylon, making up about 90% of commercial carpet installations. Olefin fibers are colorfast, strong (resisting abrasion), mildew & moisture resistant, and easy to clean (bleach can be used safely in some cases). As this fiber has color added in its liquid form, it is incredibly resistant to losing color. It is suitable for high traffic areas, even used for artificial sports turf. Less expensive than wool, nylon, and polyester, olefin/polypropylene continues to gain popularity. The cons of this fiber are that they are very abrasive, making it better for commercial applications and basements. Due to its oily nature, it can attract soiling. However, here at Covered by Rugs, we remove this excess oil so that you can enjoy a robust carpet that is easier to keep clean.

shop these rugs

 Olefin / Polypropylene Fiber Rugs, Covered by Rugs

 

Triexta, Triexta Fiber, Triexta Rug, Premium Silk, Silk

Triexta Fiber

The Triexta fibers offer unbeatable spill protection, permanent stain resistance, and long-lasting durability where traditional carpets fall short. Truly a worry-free solution, SmartStrand Forever Clean is the perfect flooring for busy households. 

shop these rugs

Triexta Fiber Rugs, Covered by Rugs

By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to analyze website traffic and improve your experience. Learn more.
OK